Monday, January 20, 2014

The Saga of the Gants (Pt. 3)

The Semper Fidele, named in some heathen language or so I imagine, is no match for my ancestor's ship of course, but it is a remarkable craft I am sure. The wood panels of its deck are worn but I have no doubt this is a result of many successful missions and adventures on the part of its worthy crew. That crew though, canines, mermen, and ugh, humans could not possibly live up to the standards of their grand captain Contessa Gatti.

That woman, that beautiful jaguar Venus, surely must be the greatest captain to ever sail the Grand Line. The mere sight of her commanding her crew with such aplomb and obvious competency sets my mind alight with the prospects for our adventure. It is the very nature of her stance, her body language, her . . . Well, the first sight of her on that ship lets one know from the start that she is in charge of her crew and her enterprise. She is in charge it seems of whatever she so wishes, even I am beginning to fear, my heart. That is not to be thought of today though.

* * *

We have been sailing for a fortnight now and I fear we are lost. No matter my long training on the sailboats of my father, it has been unfortunate to find myself seasick more nights than most. The captain has politely ignored this fact but the crew are often found to be snickering behind my back. I have mentioned this to Contessa but she says there is little she can do. I begin to think less and less of this ruffian crew.

The Grand Line is more foreboding and exacting than I had at first thought and I must admit that I am a bit afraid, not just of the being lost but of surviving our strange endeavor. Luckily, I must only look to the Captain for reassurance that our quest is worthy, though expensive. Twice Contessa has requested an increase in the ship's funds, though we are still at sea. I find it puzzling but I have the utmost faith in her ability.

* * *

Last evening I was awoken by a terrible dream. This twenty third day of our voyage, still outside of land, was stressful enough without the dream but the night was broken by it all the same. In the dream I was nude and alone on a barren landscape and being chased by a foul and demonic creature. Running, ever running from it I thought my escape assured but at the last I was swept under its claws and run down. The beast, strangely, had a face like that of Contessa—that of a jaguar.

In awaking I found my subconscious prickled with the idea that in ancient times, before our intellects were developed to the point that they are today, our species were enemies and the wild jaguar the chief predator of those Giant African Ant Eaters from which I hail. This idea troubles me greatly but I cannot help but keep my faith in Contessa. She is like a light in this sorrowful storm that is our voyage so far and I will let it guide me as a lighthouse guides a ship past the rocks of a breaker.

* * *

Success! Today we saw land at last and everyone on board, even the lowly humans occupied with god knows what mindless tasks one might give them breathed a sigh of relief. Of course, no one actually doubted the Captain's skills or the accuracy of her log-posts but still, the wait on the open water was long.

Embarking on the land I was once again embarrassed to find myself seasick, though I suppose it would be more accurate to call it “land sick.” At any rate, after the longshoremen had their laughs, I was put in touch with a strange little man to arrange for provisions. This trip becomes more and more expensive day by day. So far, the great saved treasures of my line lay barely tapped but I wonder that a day might come when I must begin to monitor them. That will be a strange day indeed.

After meeting with the little man, a certain Frenchmen named Sebastian Cargot, I returned to the trip to oversee the loading of our provisions. The most puzzling sight met my eyes though as the ship was loaded and that was the fact that while great crates of supplies were lowered into the hold other crates were removed. Large and with strange lettering on them, they were removed and put into the possession of a dubious character who I am not quite trusting of but the most marvelous part of the ordeal was that the crates were loaded, one after the other, by a great bear easily nine feet tall. Wearing a small and strange had which wore a red star he tossed the crates about and threatened our ship's crew.

His accent was strange and his behavior stranger. It appears that the crates removed from the Semper Fedele contained some sort of grain alcohol and it was quite the sight to see that great and monstrous bear pull what must have been a twenty gallon drum from a crate and pour it down his throat at a gulp with a belch of what I swear was fire.

At any rate, I confronted Contessa, ever lovely in her navy blue captain's suit, and asked of the cargo. She swears to me that the cargo was merely a formality that was already aboard when she was commissioned by the du Bois, and that it would be folly to come by here and not deliver them. Of course I apologized for questioning her judgment.

* * *

Finally, the ship loaded and provisioned, it was good to get under way today and away from this foul port, even if it means going back onto the rough waters which have such negative effects on my temperament. The docks of that island, passing silently away from us, were ugly and strange but no less ugly and strange than the sights which we will see soon.

Looking over the map today with Contessa I was instilled with a great font of enthusiasm for our endeavor which was greatly appreciated. I must admit I had become a little forlorn after the dockside episodes and the already long journey, but to see the sights and markings laid out on the map made me much assuaged.

There was a strangeness though when I looked at the map and realized that some of the ink there appeared to still be damp. Putting my fore claw down on the large X which marked our next stop I was surprised to see it come away from the map with a dab of red ink there on the tip.

I attempted to question the Captain but when she noticed my puzzled gaze she did something which certainly left me in a strange state. I must admit I have never felt quite the flutter of butterflies in my stomach that she caused when she touched my chin, the soft fur of her paws sublime against the coarseness of my own hair. She whispered to me not worry and I admit there was a stirring in me that I have never felt at any but my own species.

Being a bachelor I cannot feel guilt at these facts but I am still adrift in my personal emotions. The look of her eyes as she batted those beautiful lashes at me took my breath away and as she wrapped her other arm around me and led me to the window, the soft and warm embrace pushing her bosom against me for an excruciatingly short moment was enough to sweep me away.

Pulling me to the window she pointed out into the sunset and the glittering water beneath it and asked me to imagine the greatness of the discoveries which lay before us. That of the Gants.

I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment