Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Saga of the Gants (Pt. 2)

Undoubtedly, in order to set off and take hold of my destiny, that being the obvious birthright of the Giant Ant Eater clans of Africa, I was in need of a ship and a crew. My father, Lord rest his soul, had been out at the time of his death with the fastest and largest ship at the du Bois’ disposal and with him laid to rest in the family vaults I lost any chance of using a du Bois ship to find the Gants. Being the case, I sought a captain, and one worthy of my noble quest.

Her name is Contessa Gatti, and she is the captain of the ship that will one day be as famous as the du Bois name itself. As famous as any, for I, Alexander Augustino de Bois III, have set out to begin a journey that would make the likes of Homer blush. Captain Gatti has assured me of our success and it would be hard for any man to not believe her candor and forthrightness.

Captain Gatti had been recommended to me, of course, by the head butler of the de Bois estate, a man named Afred von Duesche. I had been hesitant at first obviously, as he referred to Captain Gatti as his niece and in my shortsightedness I would normally have refused his suggestion had it not been the portrait of my dear departed mother and father. That portrait, painted in oil a scant month before their sudden deaths, hangs in our prolifically ornate study with the books and scrolls that have been collected throughout the ages of this line and it is as if at times they are there to guide me on my most noble endeavors. I knew at once, looking up into their faces there above the mantle, full of glory and candor, that I must at least meet this feline woman before I passed judgment on her abilities.

Upon meeting the Captain I was still uneasy, it must be said. She was rather young after all, much too young to be an experienced seaman, or so I had presumed at first. Captain Contessa Gatti told me that she had retired extraordinarily early from the navy when she had been offered the most honorable title of Rear Admiral before leaving the service. Assuring me that she escaped that role as if it were a prison sentence, it was hard to disbelieve her. To the Captain it seems, there are too many regulations to be followed in the service and she seeks the freedom of the sea above all else and the loyalty of her crew a close second.

I must admit that I felt a kindred spirit with Captain Gitta as she confided all of this to me. There has never been a day that I was not proud to be a du Bois but there had perhaps always been a small, lingering part of my boyhood that screamed to me to cast away the expectations of my family name and seek my fortune on the open sea. My true home I always knew must lie there, just as it did for my great, many times great, grandfather. The Captain had done in her remarkably short and illustrious life what I never thought I myself could, until now. She was indeed an exemplary of her kind and a shining example to such an ideologist as myself.

I was honestly struck the moment I saw her magnificent ship as well, the Sempre Fedele, docked idly in the harbor at my first sight of it. Captain Gatti clearly took great pride and consideration in the care of her ship as she surely did in every other facet of her life.

The crew of that ship though . . . That most eclectic crew of the Sempre Fedele was perhaps the greatest shock of my day. I understand that it is a different day and age than the times of my great, great, many times over great grandfather Alexander but really, to employ such unsavory folk would have started just the sort of scandal then as it does now. Never in my life have I been in the presence of such classless people as those she employs on this ship.

Even with the word of Captain Gitta behind them and the entire crew's obvious competence, I have to force myself to accept them. I wonder what my father would say if he could know even now that his son will have three humans and an aardvark in his employ. His willing employ, and believing them skilled. I shudder at the thought. Perhaps the rest her crew, made up of fine, upstanding merpeople, felines and canines alike will be a good influence on the less desirable members of that party, but I am not so sure.
Captain Gitta has returned to me after a short time of commiseration and with her plotted course to get to the island of the Gants. She claims she is knowledgable of them and I was eager to see the chart, making some adjustments to them of course. I was very impressed with it though, especially when she told me a human had mapped this out!

I laughed when Captain Gitta presented me with the humble budget for our voyage, though. Surely she thinks me a pauper and has provided the barest of estimates. I insisted of course, and at the earliest chance, that we should at least double it in order to facilitate the ease of our journey.

At that occasion though it was that the brilliant Captain suggested more that perhaps a greater investment of funds could help to even better finance the expedition! I have the fullest of confidence in Captain Gitta and thus I have poured all of the du Bois liquid funds into the Sempre Fedele and her crew, humans and all. I await with bated breath the outcome of our glorious expedition.

There is no doubt, of course, that I should be the leader of such a remarkable endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment